What Happens in Vegas


“But sir,” Gideon replied, “if the LORD is with us, why has all this happened to us?” (Judges 6:13, NIV)

I read Judges 6 when I was in Las Vegas on vacation. My first thought about this was how much just about anyone could relate to the question. My second thought was my surroundings in Vegas. When you walk down the Vegas strip there are rows of people in t-shirts for 1-800-girl-4-u trying to get you to take their little pamphlets. People often go to Vegas to escape the rules. They overeat, carry open liquor legally. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas right?

Then I thought about my own circumstances. I was with my family. I was grateful for that but also yearned for it to be less difficult, less complicated. My foot was acting up again which made things really hard. Anyone who has been to Vegas knows that there is a lot of walking involved. Once you are in a hotel, it is next to impossible to get back out until you have walked through the whole thing in the most indirect route possible.

I have been thinking about this passage of the Bible today and I have to admit my heart cries out with the question. I have no doubt that God exists or even that He intervenes in the life of others. But today, life is harder. And I get frustrated with myself that my faith is sometimes so wavering. But that is how I feel today. On the bright side, I know that I won’t feel that way everyday. And I know that Gideon felt that way too.

Comments

mom_of_4 said…
So, I had to go look up the passage to be reminded of how God answers the question "Why?".

He doesn't. He focuses Gideon on who He is and what needs to be done.

I found a great deal of peace once I gave up asking "Why?" and started asking "Who?" and "What?" instead. Once you know Who He really is, Why doesn't seem to be nearly as important anymore.

Praying God's comfort and strength for you today, my friend.

Popular posts from this blog

Jillian Michaels - Maximize Your Life

Enough of Too Much

Gratitude