Misty's Favourite Books of 2018

At the beginning of 2018 I set a goal to read 12 books and listen to 12 books.  I read and listened to many more than that.  Here are some of my favourites:

The Obsession - Nora Roberts: I devoured this book while I was on vacation.  The story depicts a horrible coming of age for young Naomi as she learns her father's secrets.  As an adult the events still haunt her and of course, her nightmares start to become real.


The Very Worst Missionary - Jamie Wright: Jamie's memoir about her experience as a missionary is honest, funny, and heart-breaking at the same time.  It opened my eyes to an 'industry' I didn't know anything about.


Before We Were Yours - Lisa Wingate: I picked this one up on the recommendation from someone's list last year.  This book follows the story of children who were taken from their parents and basically 'sold' for adoption.  It is based on the real life scandal of the Tennessee Children’s Home Society.  This book was so well written.  It moves back and forth from the present to the past so you get a bit of a break from the bleak story of what happened to the children.


Year One - Nora Roberts: This is the beginning of a trilogy.  I have the second book ready in the pile for me to read in 2019.  This apocalyptic story held my attention from the very beginning.  The characters are engaging and you truly care about what happens to them.  I'm looking forward to reading the second one but I might wait a while so I don't have to wait so long for the third.


Me After You and Still Me - Jojo Moyes: These are two novels that continue the life of Louisa Clark.  I listened to the first book Me Before You in 2017 and watched the movie.  Me After You picks up several months after the death of Will in the first book (sorry for the spoiler).  It is realistic in exploring her emotions about her role in Will's death peppered with the characteristic cheek of Louisa.  The second book continues along the same vein.  Definitely binge worth books.


The Great Alone - Kristin Hannah: This book is the story of a family whose father decides they should move to a remote part of Alaska.  It is a difficult life made even more difficult by a father who is abusive when he drinks.



Lethal White - Robert Galbraith: I'm pretty sure every Cormoran Strike novel will make it onto my favourite list.  This one picks up where the last one ends.  It is probably my favourite of the series so far.

Becoming - Michelle Obama: I fell in love with Mrs. Obama and probably a little bit with President Obama as well.  This is an amazing story that gives you insight into what it is like growing up in a middle class black family in Chicago and moving on to be an lawyer and executive who was often the only woman of colour in a room.  The insight into their years in the White House was amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jillian Michaels - Maximize Your Life

Gratitude

Enough of Too Much