Intuitive Eating and Fitness Update

At the beginning of the year I embraced Intuitive Eating.  Some of you have asked what this is.  To really understand you can check out the website of the original Intuitive Eating creators Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch.  For me this was about making peace with food.  It is also about accepting my body and that I don't need to look a certain way to be healthy.

The first principle of intuitive eating is to reject diet mentality.  In order to do that, I decided to step away from the gym for a while.  I also gave myself permission to eat whatever my body was asking for.  In the beginning, I did really well with intuitive eating.  I found my body was asking for a wide variety of food and I was feeling pretty good.

In the month since I returned from my vacation I have travelled for work and been sick more than once.  I have found that instead of figuring out what my body wanted, I would just eat so that I was no longer hungry.  The thing is, when I do that, I'm never satisfied.  If I don't give my body what it needs, I find I am hungry all of the time.

I also miss the gym like crazy.  I miss moving and I especially miss lifting weight.  I have been keeping a lookout for what might be a body positive in my area.  I kept thinking I would workout in the small (free) gym out our office but with being sick and travelling that never worked out.  I also felt like I needed access to more equipment than our gym has.

So after finally feeling better I ran some errands yesterday.  I ate a good breakfast out.  I got a tour at our local YMCA and I signed up.  I met with a body positive nutritionist to come up with a plan.  After all my errands yesterday afternoon, I didn't have energy left to go grocery shopping so I paid for delivery.

Today I made meals that were what my body was asking for.  I know I have a ways to go on my intuitive eating journey and I am looking forward to the recommendations from the nutritionist.  Even though this journey has been far from perfect, I am still loving the intuitive eating mindset.

I am so happy to turn off the food police voices in my head.  I am much kinder to myself.  I am doing the best I can given my circumstances.  Changing my eating habits this week is not a punishment.  It is not making me a 'good person' It is self care and doing what is right for me.

Comments

SilvyMcG said…
I really love this! I have been struggling with my own issues on food and fitness. I had to step away to refocus. Thanks for sharing

Popular posts from this blog

Jillian Michaels - Maximize Your Life

Gratitude

Enough of Too Much