Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Journey




“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11: 28-30 MSG)

I was reading The Message version of Matthew a couple years ago. I was going through a time where I wasn’t sure what I believed. I came across this passage and somehow it carried me. I was tired and worn out. The unforced rhythms of grace sounded well… nice. It felt like something to hold onto. If that was what Jesus could teach me I wanted some of that.

Have you ever met someone for whom kindness and faith seem natural? I know it may not actually be effortless for them, in fact I know it isn’t. But there is a difference between moving forward and pushing forward. I want to be the kind of woman who lives in unforced rhythms of grace. I am not there yet. Perhaps I never will be.

My intent is to invite you along for that journey. Be forewarned that it will be a road with lots of bends and perhaps a little bit of traveling in reverse.

No comments: