Worthy

For the summer our church is having services on Thursday in addition to Sunday.  I always tend to go for the smaller more intimate gatherings.  So when I found out they were having a Thursday gathering I offered to help.  I am doing the media (running the software that puts the worship songs and pastor’s presentation) for the summer.  It feels really good to be involved again.

We had a guest speaker who was talking about communion.  He talked about how some people, especially those who grew up in the church, struggle with taking communion when they don’t feel like they have it all together.  That feeling is based on the following scripture:

Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. (1Cor11:27, NIV) 

The speaker argued that the passage is not referring to sin or struggle or doubt.  He said a lot of good things but the thing that stuck out for me was to think of the opposite.  Could we ever think we are worthy to go to the table?  I laughed out loud.  How could we ever possibly feel worthy of eating of the body and drinking of the blood of Christ?

I have never struggled with taking communion.  I have always been part of a church that taught we should be taking communion when we are struggling.  But when I think about the symbolism of communion I have to step back.  Accepting the gift of Jesus’ unconditional love is something I struggle with.  I have fallen.  I have turned away.  I walk with a sense of guilt and trepidation.  But how could I ever be worthy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jillian Michaels - Maximize Your Life

Enough of Too Much

Gratitude