Expectations

I have been thinking about expectations lately. Many people don’t want anyone to tell us how to act. I am one of those people. I don’t want anyone to expect certain behaviour of me. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to be a good person. It just means that I want to decide.

Then I thought about it a little further. Think about the people you don’t have any expectation of. What are those people like? I know for me when I think of people I don’t have expectations of I think of… well… losers. Do I want to be the type of person no one expects anything of?

As uncomfortable as it is to put myself in a situation where people have permission to hold me accountable for my behaviour the alternative seems worse. I don’t want to live in bondage to other people’s expectations. I won’t let people hold me accountable for things they shouldn’t be. I also know that even when people have reasonable expectations of me I might not live up to them. But I want to be worthy of other people’s expectations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jillian Michaels - Maximize Your Life

Enough of Too Much

Fair Weather