James 1: 9-11


(James 1: 9-11) Christians who are poor should be glad, for God has honored them. And those who are rich should be glad, for God has humbled them. They will fade away like a flower in the field. The hot sun rises and dries up the grass; the flower withers, and its beauty fades away. So also, wealthy people will fade away with all of their achievements.

I am grateful for the people in my life that allow me to be who I am. They are there for me when I am suffering. I think without those people I would not be able to continue on this journey I am on. I pray that I can be as loving as they are to me.

Yet I also know that when people ask me how I am I find myself afraid to tell the truth. Not to those close to me necessarily but to those I don’t know as well or those I know will judge me. It seems like if I say I am experiencing pain some people attribute that to some lack in my faith.

I don’t know if that is what people intend to convey. Perhaps they are just trying to be helpful. I do know that there are people out there that think if you do not live what they consider to be an abundant life (pain free) there is something wrong with you. Maybe you don’t pray correctly or read your Bible enough.

Verses like this remind me that suffering does not mean there is something wrong with me. God is the great equalizer. Although James is talking about physical wealth I believe the same thing applies spiritually. Those who are poor should be glad because God has honored them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jillian Michaels - Maximize Your Life

Enough of Too Much

Gratitude